Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:54:20 -0800
From:         Doran Nugent <doranosaurus@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road weary
Comments: To: D Welch <jtdjtd@TIAC.NET>

Daisy, I lived out of my 1978 campervan for 18 months. It was my home and base of operations while I trapsed around doing various things aimlessly as a good twenty-something should.

It was pleasant over all and here are a few things that made it so;

Variety--Much of the time was spent in the Utah and other western states where public (free unrestricted camping) land is vast, plentiful and beautiful. This allowed me to camp, or live or whatever you want to call it, in breathtakingly gorgeous places without another soul around for free (federal income tax notwithstanding). I only scratched the surface of the literally thousands of places to stay and see and commune with nature or whatever.

Access to facilities--I worked in one town for several months where I got a membership to a health club. I would shower, swim, wash my clothes etc. While on the road, I was able to find motels that would sell showers or YMCAs that would give you a day pass for a few dollars.

Appropriate physical and mental traits-- I have a relatively small body, I'm 5'5" and trim, this helps. If I were a very tall or wide person, I may well have exploded as you suggest! The van was an aftermarket conversion which had the advantage of more headroom than the Westfalia. I was able to stand fully upright inside the van which makes it more comfortable for cooking on rainy days and psychologically less cramped. By mental traits I mean, obviously not claustrophobic but also inventive in use of space and equipment. And conservative (I mean like aware of using resources efficiently, not like Pat Buchanan).

Breaks--I was not living in the van day in and day out. For example, I spent 3 months with "Outward Bound" where I was away from the van entirely. I would spend a week here and there with friends and relatives. Although I was actually more comfortable sleeping in the van than in the various guest rooms. In a way it was the most comfortable place I ever slept. I had, within arms reach while lying in bed, food, water, clothes, entertainment, and a beautiful view out the window.

Eventually I became afraid I was becoming something I didn't want to be, so I went back to college yada, yada, yada. I'm more than happy to elaborate for you and give you specific details based on your interests.

Doran.

--- D Welch <jtdjtd@TIAC.NET> wrote: > How long can you live in a camper before you blow up > ? > My plan is to carefully acquire the right one, fix > it up, and then take > off for a US tour, mooching from friend to relative > etc. > > What's the longest trip ? I've been tent camping for > years, sometimes as > long as a month... > > Lets hear it > Daisy >