Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:09:07 +0200
From:         Jimmy Sanby <SanbyJ@TELKOM.CO.ZA>
Subject:      Re: Another warm up strategy

I had a similar problem once... but the rubber gasket had fallen off whilst installing and fallen into the oil drain tray so I had not noticed. I have a habit of always starting and checking underneath for any leaks before driving off after an oil change. I noticed the leak straight away rectified the problem.

Cheers

Jimmy

>>> Don Record <DrocerNod@AOL.COM> 12/28/99 12:36PM >>> I had a near disaster with a new Bosche "Premium" oil filter and the start it up and drive theory... On Christmas day we were visiting relatives in the Poconos (PA). The temp was in the teens and I had just changed the oil (20w50 Valvoline). A couple hundred yards from their driveway the dynamic oil buzzer went off and I stopped Immediately! Scared the Crap out of me actually. As soon as I got out of the Van it was obvious what happened. Nearly 4 Quarts of oil sprayed out in only that short distance. The rubber gasket at the top of the filter had failed. First and last time I used a Bosche filter... I also changed the oil to 10w40 before the trip home. Thank God there was no engine damage but it certainly could have been a disaster.

WHEWWWW... Don 87 GL Westi York, PA