Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:30:31 -0500
From:         Chris <ncbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: [VB] Gear Oil Nightmare
Comments: To: type2 list <type2@type2.com>

Thanks to all those who responded to the origianl posts. Here is an update for those that are interested.

After an exhaustive search this morning, Redline MT90 has been obtained.

I tried to find any form of GL4 or 90w hypoind at NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto and Walmart but came up empty handed each time. Walmart had absolutley NO gear oil whatsoever: folks must be stocking up for Y2K. I also needed to buy a 17mm allen wrench and NAPA informed my that they do not carry metric sizes. The guy stocking the shelves at Walmart in the oil section did not know what gear oil was and they guy at Autozone did not know what the designations in GL(x) meant.

I went so Sears to by the 17mm allen wrench ($8.95) and then made the trip to the shop that filled my tranny two weeks ago using GL5. They guy who did the fill is a really nice guy and a good mechanic and was patient with me as I explained the GL4/GL5 issue. He agreeded that typically he would put in MT90(GL4) but chose to use the (Redlne)GL5 becuase he thought it might be better in the RGBs. He also achknowleged the issue of GL5 being bad for synchros but he felt that with fully synthetic GL5 this was not an issue.

I would like to say that I am not a chemist, metalurgist or even a really good shade tree mechanic and I will not come down on either side of the issue. I will however tell you that I left the shop with 4 quarts of Redline MT90 under my arm becuase that makes me feel a little better( and Karl too:)>

I made one last stop at a different location of Advance Auto Parts to pick up a pump for the gear oil and to my suprise I saw 90w Hypoid oil on the shelf. I read the bottle and it was specified for use in Marine outbaard engines in the lower drive. Not sure if that is the same as the 90w Hypoid that VW specs in the manual but it was the only thing I ever saw that said '90w Hypoid" on the label.

I am gonna clean all the crap off the RGBs and tranny and watch it for a day or so and check for leaks. If it looks good I will put the Redline MT90 in this week!

Chris Greemsboro,NC '72 Wssfalia '67 deluxe http://www.mindspring.com/~vw69bus/everybus.html