Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:00:41 -0600
From:         "Dr. No" <scottnorville@POL.NET>
Subject:      ignition and ?Vanagon syndrome

Here's a good one.

We have a "new" 83.5 Westy (purchased in August) which we have already driven all over Texas and to Delaware and back. The PO had installed a starter button as the ignition lock had a problem. On our first trip to the frozen areas (Taos) the ignition lock started working! Unfortunately, about the same time we started to experience the dreaded Vanagon syndrome symptoms, staggering power under load, mainly going uphill but sometimes also at highway or street speeds, only after the engine had been running for more than an hour and lasting only a minute or two at a time. Now we are back down where it's warm and we have to use the starter button again, but we haven't had the power problem. Interesting, huh?

BTW: I bolted my Yakima bars directly to the fiberglass shell for the ski rack, through the front mounting holes for the front pair (holes enlarges slightly) and new holes in the middle rib for the back. I took the raingutter grabbers off and bolted the bar holders directly through. I don't think I'll use this for the canoe, that's what the Thing with a roll bar is for.