Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:43:48 -0800
From:         Graham Challis <centumg@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: new to the list and learning to dodge corner curbs
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM

Reminds me of the first time I filled up the gas on my brand new 1990 Vanagon. Didn't realize the tank was so small so was coasting into a gas station on fumes, then realized I was coming in on the wrong side of the pump; momentum was taking me past the pump so I thought I could turn left, enabling me to roll back with the pump next to the passenger side; trouble was I turned the wheel as I would in my car and hit the big post protecting the pump. The most expensive fill-up I've ever had!

Also had a similar experience in the '70s test driving a Lotus Elan Sprint, when my current car was a 68 Toyota Corona 4 door; the first right turn I came to, I drove straight into the curb - the seller was speechless, especially when I told him I didn't think the car felt right!

Welcome to the list!

Graham 90 GL auto country homes camper

--- Benjamin Tan <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM> wrote: > Hello, all. > > Thanks to the encouragement of several list members. > My mailbox is full. = ) > > I'm a first time Vanagon owner (1987 GL). However, I > have been an avid VW fan > since 1975. (bugs, karmann ghias, split pick-ups and > crew cab, breadloaf van > & westys, jettas, fox, gti's gli's rabbit pick-up, > notchbacks, fastbacks, > sterling kit car..... guess that's it) > > Already had baptism by fire w/ the Vanagon. Upon > driving away from the curb > of the DPO, alternator belt snapped. Forgot that was > connected to the darn > water pump. After driving a quarter of a mile, I > heard a load pop and found > out my "t-pipe" had fractured. Thankfully, the > damage was not terminal. > Quickly learned to avoid sharp turns. I bumped a few > curbs before learning > the proper turning attitude. > > Supposed "recent" brakes was down to 5%. Manual > steering turned out to be > completely dried out leaky rack. A good used rack > from Tassi's in Colma did > the trick. Upside down and swapped; left to right > taillights (previous owner > wanted yellow taillights). Oh well, he was asking > $3200. I got it for $2300. > > Tassi's frequently parts out wrecked Vanagons (and > other VW's). They are also > an authorized Eurospec Converter (2.0 golf motor). > Ask for Bruce. He owns the > joint and will always give lower price quotes than > everybody else in the > shop. (650) 755-1355. Tell him Ben sent you. > > See you all soon, > Ben > Citadel Properties. > San Francisco > (650) 994-7253 > > '87 GL Vanagon > '88 Fox Wagon > '89 Jetta GL > '80 Rabbit pick-up > '83 323i BMW (gray market) > '72 911 Targa (soon to be parted out) > '76 914 converted to 914-6 configuration > '79 Mercedes 280TE (gray market) > 80 Mercedes 300D > 91 Previa (soon to be gone) > '79 928 (gray market - soon to be gone) > > >