Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:19:23 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel replacement - Please Help
Comments: To: "Cook, Thomas" <tcook@ROVERS.COM>

There is no harm in running a TD block in NA mode. The AAZ, or TD 1.9, without the turbo installed will run the same as a 1Y, or NA 1.9. The 1.9 IDIs have the same compression whether they are TD or NA. None of the VW IDI diesels have convex piston tops. The 1.6 head will have smaller intake valves and ports than the 1.9 head does. You'll be using the 1.6 intake manifold and injection pump, I assume. Time the pump somewhere around 0.85 mm. BTDC to start with, and you'll want to turn the load adjustment screw in a 1/4 turn or so to give the engine more fuel. Assuming you have 1.6 injector lines, you'll want to carefully bend the injector lines to fit the taller position of the 1.9 injectors. The alignment of the pump I don't know about, but I believe a different pump bracket was used on the Vanagon install than was used in the smaller members of the VW family. Hope this helps some.

-Dana-

"Cook, Thomas" wrote: > > Hi- > > I am trying to replace my blown diesel engine with a factory new 1.9 that I > bought new from a prominent member on the mailing list. I do not want this > thread to deteriorate into a bash of online vendors so I will not name him > but I am sure that he will read this and then he can make his identity known > if he so wishes... in any case- > > I purchased what I was told was a 1.9L NA diesel longblock with the head set > up to accept the 1.6l intake and an installation kit including various > things making the engine work with a vanagon installation. This was > supposed to be a so called bolt-up job. Of course this is where the > nightmare begins. > > After the engine arrived without anything other than the block my mechanic > called VW to order various gaskets etc that would be required for the engine > installation and was told by his parts person (I believe VWoA but I am not > certain of this) that according to the ID number cast onto the block I have > a TD block instead of a NA block... great if I want to turn my beast into a > turbo but not so good if all I want is a running van. After talking with > the vendor and others I was told that there should be a polished area on the > block just below where it meets the head with another ID number stamped on > but neither the mechanics nor myself were able to locate this second number. > > This is my first question to the group... what are the problems with running > a turbo engine without the turbo? I have been told things ranging from: > 'sure the compression is a little lower in the turbo block (something about > concave cylinder tops instead of the convex tops in the NA's?) but you won't > be able to tell the difference' > to > 'there is no way that thing will ever run at all, and if by some chance you > get it to run you will be smoking like a (insert colorful simile here)'. > Any comments? > > My second dilemma is that even if list consensus is that running the TD > block without the turbo is not a problem there appear to be all kinds of > problems aligning the fuel pump bracket and belt covers to the block and > head because the bolt holes for these brackets do not appear to allow proper > fitting of the fuel pump. Specifically, the fuel pump at its full > adjustment is still approximately 3/4 inch away from the injector lines > (even if they were able to connect the lines with the pump all the way to > one end of the adjustment I am told that timing the engine properly would be > impossible?). > > If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. My wife is convinced we > should just walk away but I have too much invested (both $ and emotionally) > to take her advice. > > Thanks- > Thomas J. Cook > > PS- please no 'you should have switched to a gas engine ...', I like my > diesel... I just like it better when it runs. > > Thomas J. Cook > Information Technology Services > Conestoga-Rovers & Associates, Inc. > Tel: 716-297-6150 > Fax: 716-297-2265 > email: tcook@rovers.com > web: http://www.rovers.com