Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Dec 1999 02:57:58 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: reality check
Comments: To: D Welch <jtdjtd@TIAC.NET>

Your mech will be driving that Lexus ONLY if you go see him instead of doing the work yourself. When I got my 83.5 Westy back in 93 I had less expierence than you seem to have. Yet I have changed out the Head Gasket, replaced a water pump, replaced the blower motor, replaced the ....., all myself with little but the Bently and the folks on the list for guidence. One thing I have learned is that it just aint that hard. With the single exception of the transmission there is nowhere I now fear to tread. I have, in fact, discovered a masochistic side of me that actually enjoys it! I have had a lot of pink slips for various cars in my 50 years but this Beast is MINE in a sense that none other has ever been. Another thing I have learned is that it just aint that expensive either! That head gasket job cost $200. The water pump $80 and so on. Yes, it is possible to get really tagged for a repair but this is true for any vehicle. My neighbor bought a 2 year old Explorer with 45000 miles. She drove it four months and had to replace the transmission! Off hand I would say I put in about $800 worth of repairs in the 7 years I have had her. Around $500 of that came in the first part of the first year. I had my doubts at the end of that first year but I stuck it out and I am now a VERY happy camper.