Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:31:03 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Double bagging it, myth dispelled, was: Personal question
Comments: To: "Alan J. Flint" <ajflint@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>

Alan-

Despite their continued destruction of small towns across the USA, the last time I was in Wal-Mart (18 months ago), I bought our sleeping bags at for $39.00 per. We have been delighted with them in size and function.

We got the durable, zip-together king-size Coleman "goes down to 0-degrees Fahrenheit" bags...Coleman uses US State names for their bags, and I seem to recall these are the "Wyoming" bags. These bags are designed for big, corpulent hunters, rather than trim, athletic hikers...they feature a beer-repellant canvas exteriors, (rather than synthetic) and a flatus-dispersing heavy flannel interior; I chose one with a navy-blue exterior, and some virile scenes of trout jumping, tall pines, and 8-point bucks inside. The beautiful and talented Suzanne opted for desert tan, with slightly-less-manly dark-hued plaid interior.

They work nice separately, for nights when one of you is being ornery, but work even better zipped together. They ARE larger than the beds, but who cares? Keeps you from bumping into cold tent/van walls.

The down side...these are NOT backpacking bags...even rolled tightly, they form a roll roughly 4 feet in diameter, weighing roughly 25 pounds. Slight exaggeration, but they aren't a cute little pill-shaped 10 oz. bundle like your $450 REI sack. So what? You have a whole van to haul them in.

Last note: I MUST dispel a myth...the lower berth is NOT narrower than the top one. It is an optical illusion. They are both (roughly) 40", depending on what you measure. The bottom tapers slightly at the foot, but the rest is full width, just like upstairs...Put your coat on and go measure.

Cheers,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree