Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:14:03 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@SCOTT.NET>
Subject:      Re: More counter-intuition re traction (some token VW content)
Comments: To: "John P. Flaherty" <jflaherty@PIVOT.NET>

John,

I lived for 30 years in Alaska. in all that time I never owned but one 4WD ... a Jeep Grand Wagoneer LTD . .a heavy machine....and I only bought it because I was working a job out in a bush town. Didn't need the 4WD features once I moved back to Anchorage.

In all those years I never put chains or studs on tires on my vehicles. I did, however buy all weather tires, but I never even bought snow/mud tires. Just your typical allweather radials. I even had all weather radials on my "68 VW bus. All vehicles performed just fine for me.

This all changed, however, when I bought my "85GL. The very first winter I had the van and I encountered an icy road, I started up a grade on the hightway out of town, spun out a little over half way up the hill, and slid down the sideways.

I drove straight back to the tire store and put new studded tires on it all the way around. After that, it gripped the road like a hound chased cat digs his claws into a tree trunk. Never had any more problems.

In the region of the state where I lived (Kenai Peninsula and Southcentral Alaska) the weather would change a good bit in winter, switching between snow and ice and rain. Often, we would have deep snow, and temps at -35 degrees. Then a warm Chinook wind would blow in off the Pacific and wam this up to +40-45 degrees in 24 hours. Snow would melt to water, and puddle on the packed ice underneath. Water-on-ice as a road surface is not fun. But in my vanagon with all tires studded, I could go when others could not.

That was in Alaska. I am not in that cold climate now and I am not sure that I would use studded tires at all now. I would use all weather snow rated tires

Studded tires do tear up the roads, and the studs lose their effectiveness at 50% wear, and must be replaced.

Just my experience.

John Rodgers "88GL Driver running a 4 tire set of Michelin 205R70/14 MLT's