You're exactly right.  You can balance out your = van when heavily loaded.  If you build in your own compressor = system you adjust it as you drive.  Air Lift offers a bunch of = different configurations (see http://www.airliftcompany.com/).  The = simplest way is to install the air springs only.  Then you'll have = to go to a gas station or use an external compressor to inflate the = springs.  You can also install an on-board compressor.  Then = you have a choice between a 1-valve or 2-valve system.  With the = 2-valve system you can inflate the air springs independently.  = This would be the ideal solution for you water tank problem.

Of course the is only the theory.  Hopefully = we'll know a little more when I receive the set.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: mark lortie [mailto:mlortie@ucsd.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 11:21 AM
To: Buettner, Peter
Cc: 'vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com'; = 'syncro@onelist.com'
Subject: Air Lift & springs

I'm not sure how many on the list have westy syncros = but I wonder if those who travel with a full water reservoir get that = tilting feeling (springs might be tired & one of the reasons i'd be = interested in looking into adding stiffness). the

question is could the airshocks be adjusted = individually to compensate for extra driver side weight.

Secondly, re ride hight & stiffness. I certainly = want to maintain the tight handling (that way i blow by all the cars = that passed me going up the hill). However most of my offroading is = mexican wash board & rough beach (sand & rock) so i

loose 2 " of clearance when I deflate to 15-20 = psi. I do find that the front end is far too soft when I hit 30-40 MPH = on the beach (feels like a boat going through waves... actually it's = really fun !!)

It sounds like an adjustable (airshock?? adjustable = gas shocks) system might work nicely combined with heavy duty shocks. = But ideally I think I would want a shock that could adapt to increased = ride height and an adjustable (rigid) spacer

between the shock & frame.

Just a thought ... feel free to toss the hand = grenades.