From: Doktor Tim [mailto:doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM= ]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 2:09 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: Control arm bushings

At 08:51 AM 01/26/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>In getting ready to put in my new Syncro springs = and soon-to-come OME
>shocks, I want to replace any other pieces of = the front end that make sense.
>My primary concern is getting rid of the = irritating squeakiness.
>

>2. Is there anything else I should repair/replace = while I'm at it?

Stabilizer bar has bushings at the attaching points = to the lower arms and
where it is affixed to the chassis. The thrust arms = have a coupla big
bushings on the front. Any of these can squeek when = they get age hard and
or deformed and worn. Power brush all the metal = washers to remove
corrosion. If they are pitted, replace them.

Do not use a $29.95 coil spring compresser from J.C. = Whipme, or Harbor
Freight. Very dangerous energy is stored when = compressed enough for removal
and installation. Use a quality brand name tool. = Rent one if you hafta.
It's kinda like a loaded gun. Always know where not = to put hands and heads
and knees and feet at all times.

>3. Is there any way to keep the new bushings from = getting squeaky with time?

Rub a thin film of silicon paste on them, SylGlide, = etc.

>I'll probably do the front brakes, too.

Scrutinize the brake hoses. If they feel supple with = no cracking or bulges,
ok. If they are more than 10 year old originals, = consider replacing them
out of course.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim
San Juan Island, WA