There are companies out there that specialize in that = sort of thing.  Especially now that a lot of firms switch from = microfiche to computers and still want to have their old microfiches = available for viewing on the computer.  I found a company that = does conversions in Germany.  But they couldn't give me a quote = without seeing a sample of the microfiche.  I have not found a = company that does this in the US.

Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael J. Sullivan [mailto:sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM]
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 1:44 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: Micro Fiche Reader

Dear Gang,

I have estimated that one would need a scanner = capable of an OPTICAL
resolution of 4000x4000 samples per inch in order to = render the data in a
VW microfiche (interpolated resolution need not = apply). No ordinary flatbed
can do that!!! Only a few high-end scanners are = capable of this.

Cheers,
MJS

>You'll need a very good scanner to do this. I = tried on
>one that physically scanned to 1200x2400 (I = believe) and
>extrapolated to 9600x9600. I had to view the = image down
>at the pixel level and I am sorry to say that = the extrapolation
>process was not good enough. I could kind of = make out the
>diagrams, but the numbers and text were = illegiable. I wish
>I had a jumbo reader...
>
>dave

Michael J. Sullivan

author "Make Your Scanner a Great Design & = Production Tool"
web:
http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning/book/book.html