The closest thing that VW has is probably the Syncro = gas cap.  A new gas cap from the dealer plus re-keying (thanks = Steve) cost me the grand total of $65.  I was thinking many times = "I must be crazy spending this money on a gas = cap..."

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Sandlin [mailto:ssandlin@LCC.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 4:17 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: dealer ripoffs

Been reading about the dealer ripoff-high prices and = the compsarison to Jaguar.  I read with interest the post about = the $20 Jag key.  Not knowing what model Jag that fit, it COULD be = a bargain!  As a list vendor, I do a lot of VW locksmithing, but = do quite a bit of British cars, also.  If the Jag key is the round = Tibbe key, $20 is cheap.  If it is any of the conventional flat = keys, Yeah, I do 'em; all the time.  Just like all the VW's.  = There are some VW keys that I have to get over $5 for, too.  I = gotta agree, though, Jag parts prices make VW look woefully = cheap.  Just sold a Jag trunk lock to a guy for = $212...discounted.  No VW lock in current production is anywhere = near that.  I have to agree...the Vanagons aren't really that = expensive to repair (that was easy to say after just putting a new long = block and auto tranny in my '84 Westy!)  Keep the Vanagon's going, = everybody, as there's nothing else like 'em.

Steve Sandlin
www.steveslockshop.com
'84 Wolfsburg Westy
'79 Transporter