Hi Volks --

Just got back from a camping trip -- = About 200 miles of mostly freeway driving. I checked the oil before I left and = added about .5 qt (Mobil-1 15-15. Air temp about 48 degrees, Mann filter and fresh = oil about 1500 miles ago). I got home and the van smelled "oil hot." It was = running just fine, however, the back hatch and bumper have a nice mist of oil on = them. I checked the oil and was down about a half quart. Oil was dripping on the = driveway in random spots from the rear engine carrier. When I opened the = hatch and cover, it looked like the engine was coated with a light mist of oil = (more had collected in the cavities of the rear engine carrier/motor mounts). = It almost looks like the oil was dripping on the alternator belt from = somewhere and being tossed from there (for example the AC compressor was soaked = and there's a nice spray on the dist cap/wires). I can't see any = obvious leaks. There's little bits of oil drips in all the obvious locations (oil = cooler hoses,  crank pulley, etc...). My only thought is to clean the = engine, then start it and let it run, hoping to find the leak that way.

Any other thoughts? I've had real tough couple of months with my German cars = and I could really use an easy fix before I just get rid of them all and buy a Honda = mini-van (just kidding, that would never happen. Though my vanagon and = Audi are really bumming me out, lately.)

Thanks

Tim King
Seattle, WA

87 Syncro = Westy