Over the last year or more there = has been much talk about transplants of various kinds of 4cyl VW engines into = US/Canadian Vanagons/Westfalias/Transporters. I understand that VW of South Africa = produces a model of Vanagon (Caravelle?) that uses the Audi/VW 5cyl. engine. = At 2.4L displacement it would presumably have more torque and horsepower, than = the 4cyls. at lower rpm and not much greater fuel = consumption? Yet we don't hear anything on the list about using those engines for = transplant, either as gas or diesel? I'm wondering why? Is the S.A. chassis different = and the engine wouldn't fit other chassis types?

I would assume that the VW of S.A. = would have all the necessary engine mounts and exhaust system parts and = brackets etc, probably even wiring harness for sale. Is there an issue with = compatibility of  the transmission that makes this option impractical or is = there some other reason it is not being considered?

Alan Pickersgill
'85 Transporter converted to = Westfalia
Ottawa ON
Canada