But he said they didn't go out until = he reved up the engine (as I remember).... sure mine come on at start up, but they = go off by themselves, without reving.
Bill
-----Original = Message-----
From: Dave C <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM&g= t;
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: oxygen = sensor and alternator lights

At 1:27 PM -0600 = 2/22/2000, HERMANN DE BOER wrote:
>When I start my van both the oxygen = and the alternator LEDs stay on until I
>step on the gas a little. Is = that normal?
>Hermann
>87 Westy

I believe that I = remember reading in my owners manual that this is normal. Served as a = continuity/bulb checks if I remember correctly. So it would seem that if this = doesn't happen, is when to worry.

Went and got the owners manual and = sure enough, them lights illuminating @ startup is a good = thing.

From pg 27 1985 Vanagon Owners Manual
4-Alternator warning = light
This light comes on when the ignition is turned on and should go out = after the engine is started. If the light does not go out after starting and revving-up the engine momentarily or lights up while driving, there = may be a malfunction in the electrical system or the v-belt to the alternator = may be loose or broken.
6-Oxygen sensor light (USA only)
The OXS = indicator light comes on when the ignition is turned on and should go out = after the engine is started. Bla, bla, bla.
7-When the ignition is turned = on, the oil pressure warning light comes on for a bulb check. It should so = out after the engine has started.
If the oil pressure warning light does = not light up when turning the ignition on or if it does not go out after = starting the engine, contact the VW dealer immediately so they can schedule = enormously expensive service that may or may not fix your problem.
Bla, bla, = bla.

Later,
Dave C.
Williamsburg, = VA