Greg,
It is interesting to know what life you can expect = from a particular unit. I have a 1982 Kombi/Transporter with 280,000 kilometres = on the clock. The motor has only been out to put in a clutch plate. Some seals = were re-done but that was with the motor insitu. I have always driven in a = way which would tend to make everything last. Apart from regular servicing = the only other thing I did was to put a can (1 litre) of "SLICK 50" in with the = oil at the first change. This stuff was supposed to make the rubbing surfaces (cylinders & rings) smoother and make them last longer. Maybe it did.

Ron Olsen