The hot water should flow through it when the little = white lever is in the forward position.
If you are getting heat in both positions, perhaps = the valve is not working, and if you smell coolant, you've got a leak there = somewhere and this has been discussed at length here, in the last few = weeks.
----- Original Message -----
From: BRENT CHRISTENSEN
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Thursday, February 24, = 2000 6:12 PM
Subject: Rear heater = control

This is going to seem like a dumb question, but = which position of the valve on the rear heater is supposed to be "on"?  I can't = seem to tell much of a difference in heat output. (both seem to blow hot air)

I'm also getting a bit of coolant smell when I run = the blower too...

Brent Christensen
'89 GL = Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA