I used a Time-Sert kit (http://timesert.com) = in a similar situation.  The kit came with all the tools (except a = t-handle) needed for the job.  That includes the right = drill.  The Time-Sert kit was about half the price of the Helicoil = kit.  Since the drill only removes the thread it's not really = necessary to use an electric drill.  Drilling it out by hand with = a t-handle did the trick for me.

Good luck,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Carrington, Tom [mailto:tcarrington@RELITECH.COM= ]
Sent: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 6:15 AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: helicoils, stripped threads

I had the exhaust bolts strip out for the cylinder = underneath the
thermostat. Those are probably the worst ones to = fix. I did have to remove
the thermostat housing and disconnect a few hoses, = but that was all. I used
a 90-degree drill attachment from Home Depot and a = self-shortened drill bit
to drill through the flange on the exhaust pipe and = into the cylinder head.
The Helicoil tap was next, which ended up putting = threads in both the
exhaust flange and head. Just start screwing the = helicoil into the exhaust
flange, and continue turning it into the cylinder = head. Then re-install a
stock sized stud and you are done. Took me about 2 = hours...I would have
pictures but I did this in the rain (don't ask) and = did not want to risk my
camera.

TomC
tcarrington@relitech.com
http://www.relitech.com/tomc