Bearing failure is an important = consideration when determining wheel offset.

More important is the scrub radius. = Pardon my terms but I only distantly remember this from my textbooks.

A line drawn through the center of the = pivot point of the two ball joints intersects the road surface at a certain point. A = vertical line drawn through the centerline of the wheel (bisected like a = bagel) intersects the road at another point.

If these lines intersect at the road = surface, the vehicle has zero scrub radius. If these lines do not intersect at the = road surface, then the vehicle has either positive or negative scrub radius, depending on where they do intersect.

Changing the total offset from stock = changes the scrub radius. Changing the tire diameter changes the scrub = radius.

So what?

When you have a tire blow out at speed, = stock scrub radius is your friend, and my friend too, if I am driving my vehicle = anywhere in your vicinity. Stock scrub radius allows you to maintain maximum control = of your vehicle in these kinds of situations where control is severely = diminished.

VW Engineers know a lot more about = these kind of things than I do.

Tom Cates
83 Westfalia "Hammurabi"

Michael J. Sullivan Wrote:

I agree with your logic! -- however, are you saying that Winkler, HA = Projekt, and Projektzwo are offering wheels that don't meet TUV? I thought they = were!! In fact, I was counting on their expertise.

While it does make = sense that, IN THEORY, all Vanagon wheels would always carry the same offset = regardless of width, even Volkswagen didn't follow this logic!! For = example, they use ET30 for their own 6" wheel and ET35 for their own 5 1/2" = rim. Now WHY would Volkswagen do this??? And WHY would Winkler, HA Projekt, and = Projektzwo offer 7" rims with ET23 and 6.6" rims with ET27??? It makes = one wonder...

I can only offer my own theory: That for the Vanagon, = there was too much chance of interference to allow the tire to move INWARDS = without undue the possiblity of problems with rubbing on the trailing arm and = other suspension components -- particularly with extra-wide tires and/or = chains. Obviously, VW engineers felt confident that moving the tire slightly = OUTWARD as you increased the width of the rim was desireable, without any = undue consequences to the engineering of the suspension components.
I = prefer to be conservative and trust people who are offering legitimate, = TUV-approved, equipment made specifically for our Vanagons. If it turns out that = either Audi or Mercedes ever made a wheel that was "proper" then we should = actively promote this as a viable solution. However, as has been noted = elsewhere, MOST (if not all) Audi/Mercedes wheels are designed for vehicles whose = suspension geometry is vastly different than the Vanagon. And this is = particularly true of all recent Audi/Mercedes = vehicles.

Cheers,
MJS