At risk of being lynched by this = mailing list, I was
trying to replace my VW-horn with a = louder one.

Does anyone know if the wiring to the = steering wheel
in 85 Vanagon GL's is hot or cold = wired?

The old horn has a very simple = setup, one 12v power
outlet and then one outlet to close = the loop through
the steering wheel, thus circuit is = closed when you "honk".

The new horn = is setup the same way with a 12v power = and
an outlet back to the steering wheel = to close the circuit. BUT,
when you hook up the new horn just = like the old one (same wires),
it does NOT work. But = if the wire that should go to the steering
wheel is grounded  to the van = itself instead, then the horn works with the accessorie turned on(but = can't turn off).

The old horn worked fine, the = connections are good, the steering wheel contacts
are good, and the new horn is in good = condition (working), the new horn is also 12v.

A mechanic told me some steering = wheels are hot(juice) and some are cold.

This is very frustrating because it = sounds and looks way too simple.

Any help?

JM