The calipers for the Syncro and 2WD ('86 and up) are = the same.  I just did that job (caliper rebuild) myself and didn't = find anything that needed replacing.  I also have a German  = book that doesn't say anything about replacing fasteners.  I think = that's for the earlier years.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Christensen [mailto:bpchristensen1@HOME.COM]
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2000 12:44 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Front Brakes & Ball joint Q's = [Syncro]

Hey boys and girls - I am elbow deep into my front = end refurbishment project
and I have a couple questions:

My lower Driver's Side ball joint, sure enough is = toast (luckily I have them
in stock!)  In the Bentley, it shows them being = PRESSED in and out with a
hydraulic press.  Is this = necessary?   Also, it shows some monkey business
with the "Control Arm Adapter" saying that = it MUST be installed first, blah
blah blah - does it have to even come out?  = (Looks like a monster nut
holding it in place...)

Also, the diagrams in the Bentley for the front = brakes don't even show the
Syncro version.  It does say about 15 times = that there are a bunch of
fasteners that MUST be replaced, though they look = completely different from
the Syncro versions.  Any of these fasteners = really need to be replaced on a
Syncro?

Thanks in advance!

 Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus"