Well, my battle against the mushy brake pedal = continues...

After completing a *complete* front brake job (new = rotors, semi-metallic pads, caliper rebuild), I adjusted up the rear = brakes in an attempt to get rid of excess pedal travel.   The = pedal feels better, but it still improves after pumping once before = stopping.  Unfortunately, the car is now pulling a bit to one = side, and after my 12 mi commute this AM, I noticed that both drums = were HOT.  Guess I tightened them up too much. :-(  =

How the heck am I going to get the pedal to feel = better???  I have bled the system to death (In fact I used an = EZ-Bleed and ran about 1 qt of fluid through the system.)  Even = used the "wife method" with no sign of air in the = system.  No matter what I do, the pedal still always seems mushy = on the first pump, then stiffens up to where it feels it should = be.

BTW, the rear linings have about 4-6 mm left, but are = a tad glazed  (I didn't have time to change the linings)  - = also, will a normal brake tool from a FLAPS work on the Vanagon drum = brakes (you know, the one with the spring stretcher on once side and = the spring depresser/rotater on the other side)

Any suggestions?

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA