Keith and Tobin,

Maybe I should move to Canada!

My father wanted to buy a Vanagon Single Cab when = they started to sell the Vans in the US.

The story he got was that the truck was rated at a = Ton and therefore fell under a different classification for duty fees as = imports.  Maybe the US didn't know that all the trucks since the "splitties" were = One Tons or maybe the rules for importing changed.

In any case, it's a shame.  I think VW should = have imported them anyway and advertised the Single Cab as a truck that could = haul a stack of 4X8 sheets of plywood in the bed laying flat and carry tools, = in VW brand removable, sliding tool boxes(why not), and stored dry and locked besides.  It would have changed the image of VW as a durable = usefull vehicle completely.  Would a Vanagon Van stand up to family use, sure...heck contractors use the trucks as work vehicles.

Later,  KimSpringer