From: Alexis Neely [mailto:legalex@YAHOO.COM]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 6:15 AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Transporting baby solution

Thank you to everyone for your input on transporting = our baby.  We agree that putting her seat in the front seat is not = the best option.  For the record, we would not have even = considered it unless we got the passenger side airbag removed.  = Putting her seat in the passenger seat turned rear facing would have = been a good option if we could have figured out a way to get the seat = to lock into that position.  Again, we would have removed the = airbag and we would have put her seat frontfacing, which would have = made her rearfacing, which is the preferred position.  This would = have actually been a quite good option because we could have kept her = rearfacing for the life of the seat, whereas in normal position we must = turn her seat frontfacing when she hits 30lbs.  But, we decided on = a better solution, we think.

We tried the rear bench seat.  This location did = work well for her infant seat, which is pretty small.  It fit in = quite nicely and was snug.  However, by the time of the trip we = will be into the convertible seat, which is much larger.  The = convertible seat just did not work in the rear bench seat.  It = felt very ubstable.  The rear bench is too narrow and the seat = belts are placed improperly for mounting the seat.  If we were to = use the rear seat we would have to install a lap belt and do it that = way I think. But, it just didn't seem really stable to me.  =

So, we think that the best alternative is to place = her seat in teh middle where it would be if the bench seat were in the = van.  We will do this by bolting two lapbelts into the four bolt = holes that are used to mount the center seat and threading both of = those belts through the seat.  This seems like it will be very = secure and we will also be able to use the tether that comes with the = seat for added security.  We can place her seat rearfacing this = way and then when she is too big to rear face we can turn it around = front facing.  We think this is the safest, sturdiest, and most = convenient alternative.  Unfortunately, these winnebago seats just = don't seem as if they were made for carseats.

So, now we just need to find lapbelts that will fit = into those bolt holes.  Any guidance in that direction would be = appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexis

Alexis Martin Neely
Mama of Kaia Ray (11/2/99)
Wife of Todd Patrick (2/14/99)
Driver of 1996 GTI and 1997 EVC

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! = Messenger.