Can anyone suggest the easiest way to remove the = starter from my 1987 Syncro? I assume that it is the same procedure on just = about any Vanagon of that vintage, but I don't know how to do it.

It looks like there are two (15mm?) nuts to be = removed. The bottom one is no problem to get at but the top one seems to be in an = impossible position. Do I attack it from the top or from beneath the van? If I try to get at it from on top it looks like there are a = lot of hoses and things to be removed first.

Are there any special tools that will get that = top nut off? Looks like maybe a longish bendable socket shaft might get in there = from below but I'm not sure if that will work.

Thanks for your help.

Dick Taylor
hetchins@montana.com