Is there = some difference between the springs that would prevent one side from simply = being swopped with the other side or even rotated like tires every few years? = This would produce a starbord list for a while but this would even out after = a while before once again going to port, at which point we rotate again.
   Any reason why = not?

-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of BRENT CHRISTENSEN
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2000 12:05 = PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: westy lists to port

Chris:

This has more to do with the spring fatigue caused = by the extra weight on the port side of the van.  Over time (at least 9 = years by now) the weight of the camper equipment (not to mention all the stuff = stuffed in there most of the time) simply compresses the springs to a point = where they fatigue and cannot return to the original height/length.  I have = even seen this in passenger cars (like MGB's) where the driver's side is = lower due to people rarely sitting in the passenger seat.  I used to have a = '69 Jeep CJ-5 that had the gas tank under the driver's seat - it = definitely listed to port as a result of this weight & resultant spring = fatigue.  (It also discouraged smoking while driving!)

Some list members have talked about having their = springs stretched in order to restore the original ride height.  I have = to think this would be a relatively temporary solution, but then again so would = new springs, and they are a lot more expensive...

Brent Christensen
'89 GL = Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA