Douglas:

PLEASE be careful of the load range of whatever tire = you end up with.  Regular passenger tires are not built to handle = the load of the Vanagon.  If that BFG tire you have has a maximum = inflation pressure of 35 psi or less, chances are that it is a = passenger tire and really shouldn't be used.  Look for a Load = Range C tire (or LT  - Light Truck)

As to using mix & match tires, there's really no = big problem AFAIK (except in a Syncro) as long as they all are rated to = handle the load.  You may get less than ideal handling = characteristics, but I doubt any safety problems.

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA