Ron:

> Anyway, the weird thing is...  The shoes I = took off
> had almost full
> thickness of lining material at the bottom of = each
> shoe but the top of each
> shoe was worn down almost to the metal!!  = All four -
> two shoes each side -
> worn the same!  The top almost gone, the = bottom full
> thickness!

I'll bet that with the new shoes, you will still have = a mushy-feeling pedal with excessive pedal play.  The reason for = this is that your drums are probably worn beyond their maximum = diameter.  I just had the SAME THING happen to me.  As it = turned out, the drums were .060 over the max allowable = diameter.

 I would take those drums to a brake shop and = have them measured.  If they are out of spec, you can get new ones = from list vendors for about $40 each.

The weird brake wear pattern is probably why these = Vanagon brake drums are so particular about being in spec (for = diameter)

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy