The "Poor Man's" fix is to fill = the pitts with "J.B. Weld". There have been many reports of this working just fine = for thousands of miles and I have yet to see a report of this failing. I = have done it myself with no problems.
-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Ken Nelson
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 3:23 PM
To: = vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Cylinder head question

Just pulled the heads off my Vanagon. I found out the reason the = head gasket blew is because of pitting on the heads. Now my question is = since the valves, valve springs and the rest of the cylinder head check out OK = should I just get the mating surfaces welded an machined? Has anybody ever done = this before? And what results did they have? I’ve gone this route = before with other cars, trucks, and motorcycles with good results (and cheaper then new = heads). I was just wondering if there was any reason it wouldn’t work in = this application. TIA

Ken Nelson