I suspect that is that this related to the same = reason that my 2.1L Syncro gets worse gas mileage that a 235 hp Chevy = 327-powered IH Scout I used to have (it averaged about 17-19 on the = highway with military axles and 35" tires, even towing a = trailer).  The Syncro is underpowered, and forces you to drive at = WOT a lot of the time.  With more horsepower and torque available = at lower RPMs, your driving habits are altered and you end up having to = "push" the car less, resulting in better mileage.

Smooth driving results in better mileage, all other = things being equal.

(I should mention that the aforementioned Scout = started with a Holly 4 barrel 750 cfm carb and only got about 12 mpg = until I switched to a Rochester 2 bbl unit, which gave better low-end = performance)

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA