Tim:

My understanding is that usually, these rebuilt axles = are just what you describe - old CV joints that have been machined out = and have over-sized bearings installed.  Functional, but certainly = not ideal IMHO.  This is why they are so much less = expensive.

That being said, there are a lot of different = attitudes on the list.  Some are "purists" (I consider = myself one) that only use the "right" oil and air filters, = carefully replace parts *before* they really need it, always use German = parts when available, etc.  Then you have the other side of the = spectrum, where a machined brake rotor is perfectly acceptable, and the = lowest-cost solution that works is the best.  In many cases this = boils down to economics, but often it is just a philosophical = difference.

Bottom line, if you need to save money, and don't = mind having to redo the job in a year, then the "rebuilt" = units are probably fine.  If you want to do the job once and then = forget about it for the next 100,000 miles, and have the $$ to spend, = buy new units.

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA