Jon:

The little steel "nozzles" that are part of = the plastic assembly can be removed by putting a pin into them and = "popping" them out by tilting the pin (be careful - I have = nearly lost mine this way - I use a towel over it so it doesn't go = flying away).  They are a little trickier to get back in, but it = is fairly easy.

If you are talking about removing the entire black = plastic assembly, this is (from what I understand) a much trickier = operation.  They are held in place by barbed hooks, so that they = can be easily inserted but not removed.  Per L. told me last week = that the only way to get them out without getting in under the dash is = to simply break them off and then fish the hose out.  This sounds = like a dangerous proposition (Per agreed), so I would think long and = hard about how badly you want to remove the plastic mounts.  If = you do, I would suggest going at it from under the dash.

That being said, Per also mentioned that the nozzle = assembly from a plain old Bug fits and has a better spray = pattern.

As to your wiper clearance problem, it sounds like = someone mounted the wrong wiper arm assembly.  Try changing it to = the correct unit for the Vanagon and see if that doesn't solve the = problem.  These are available from several list vendors.  VW = part number 251 955 409  (prolly around $25 each)

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA