From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf Of Wiebo Troost
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2000 8:32 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: '81 Vanagon Diesel, small = gears

HI,

We are the proud new owners of an 81 Vanagon = Diesel. The engine has been recently replaced by a '93 Turbo Spec 1.6 Diesel. The transmission is still the original. We are finding that the engine = runs at high revolutions (3500 rpm)while driving barely 90 km/h.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to change = to a four speed gearbox with a higher ratio, or a five speed? What are the = limitations on compatible gearbox models?

Thanks very much,

Wiebo Troost
Anne = Troost.