I can't remember exact detail but seem = to recall some thread about problems with injector pumps on 'newer' VW diesels...
I came across the following abstract = which may be of interest if someone is able to research it.

Steve

Title: Volkswagen to recall 3 600 = cars
Source: Auto Motor und Sport   p.9   22:03:2000
Brief details of the recall of models because of fuel injection pump
problems on the direct injection turbo diesel engine and another = recall
of vehicles with belt driven pumps that work in tandem = delivering fuel
and vacuum services. Includes a note about the knock on effect = in future
models. In German.