I also = had some banging noises, similar to the hammer on wheel sound.  =
I = dunno what exactly was wrong but I pulled off the rear wheels, pulled the drums, cleaned = them, and loosened the rear brakes a bit.
There = was a good deal of buildup in the drums, but with everything cleaned up, no more = banging. ; )

Eric Nettles
87 Wolfburger

I just had a similar experience with = my '91 GL. It turned out to be the CV joints in the rear. There was no grease (or = whatever lubricant is used) left in the boots. This noise was also = more prominent at low speeds and sounded like someone hitting the wheelwell = with a hammer. Very alarming noise indeed, and it seemed to come and go for a = few months until it got really bad. Hope this helps!