Not sure if you're into an aggressive off-road = looking tire, but I just installed a set of BFG All-Terrain KO tires on = my Syncro.  $89.85 per tire in the 27 x 8.50 - 14 size (You must = have 6" alloys to mount them).

My initial impression is that they are a big = improvement over the previous "Jupiter" 185C/75-14 tires I = had, both in terms of appearance and handling.  Mush plusher ride = over big hits like speed bumps and uneven pavement, and a more stable = cornering feel at low speeds.  Highway ride is quite good, with = some squirminess at over 65 mph (indicated), which may just be due to = their newness.  Contrary to one of my concerns, the larger = 27" tire does not affect the acceleration from a standing start to = a great degree.  It is noticeable, but really not a problem (and I = am used to cars that pull like tractors from standing = starts).

I'll be forwarding a detailed description of my = impressions to Coyote for his upcoming section on tires and wheels for = vanagon.com if you want more details.

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA