Larry:

You have asked a highly subjective question, but = here's my stab at it:

My Syncro is my first vanagon, but I had a '72 = Microbus in college.  Vans like these take getting used to because = you are sitting right on top of the front wheels.  As a result, = you notice a couple of things:

1. Every bump and hump, no matter how mild, is = converted into a movement right into your butt.

2. When going over a rise or through a dip, you're = looking right into the road surface at some point due to your proximity = to the front of the vehicle, and the proximity of the wheels to the = front of the vehicle.  This takes getting used to.

3. You're driving a big, empty steel box on wheels = without a lot of insulation, so sounds tend to get bounced around a lot = inside the van, including the droning road noise.

That being said, I think that shocks seem to be the = most overlooked aspect of Vanagons by DPO's, based on the amount of = time we spend talking about them here on the list.  :-)

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but IMHO the = stock (OEM or dealer) shocks on a Vanagon (or just about any other = vehicle for that matter) are pretty much useless after about 50,000 = miles.  The problem is that they fade gradually, and the driver = (DPO) becomes accustomed to the bouncy ride and the occasional = bottoming out over time.  It is also something that people rarely = think of checking (like the oil or tires).  I would bet that every = single used car with over 50,000 miles that I have bought in the last = 20 years needed shocks when I bought it.

One way to be sure if you need shocks is to look at = them:

1. Do they have evidence of oil leaking from = them?  (You will see dark stains on the stone covers and mounting = points, often covered with a layer of road dust).

2. Are the rubber bump stops shiny?  If so, the = van has been bottoming out and the bumpers have been making contact, = thus getting shiny.  (There will be a corresponding shiny spot = where they contact the frame/control arm, etc.)

3. Does the car recover quickly from a big dip, or do = you get that "hebby chebby" effect? (Bouncing up and down = several times before recovering).  If your Vanagon is acting like = a lowered '58 Impala in East LA on Saturday night, chances are your = shocks' valving is shot, or the oil has leaked out.

4. Finally, look at the mounting points.  Are = they intact?  Is the rubber there supple, or is it all crispy and = falling away.  (This is a common cause of the "banging" = that people always talk about - the rubber bushing deteriorates to the = point where the shock eye is making direct contact with the mounting = pin on full travel).

Probably more than you wanted to know, but I hope it = helps point you in the right direction.  If you need shocks, take = heart in the fact that you have a 2wd Vanagon, and have lots of options = for shocks.  I am awaiting the delivery of my new special-ordered, = list-purchased-from-Australia Old Man Emu shocks, which even at about = 35% off retail, still cost $500 for four of them!  (I think KYB's = are about $25 each for a 2 wd Vanagon!)

Cheers and happy Vanagoning,

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA