Also, if you have the old stuff, try = putting it back on one piece at a time until its corrected.  Did they adjust = the timing during the inspection?

John
'84 Westy
-----Original = Message-----
From: Jeremy Sager <jerome@SGI.NET>
To: = vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM = <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 7:27 PM
Subject: HELP!!!

HI all,
I own a '90 Vanagon GL, with 110,000+ miles. = I've recently run into some trouble. Let me break down the situation for you. In = December I replaced the plugs, wires, dist. cap, & rotor. Afterwards I experienced a strange "pulse" power loss (almost like a = miss) and the van stalled a couple of times. Once while driving, and once = while stopped. The van sat for the weekend and then on my why home, it = gradually lost power and died on the side of the road. I had it towed to a = local garage and they determined it was a faulty distributor, so they = replaced it, and the van STILL wouldn't run right. It would blow black smoke and = run very rough, and somedays not even start. They worked with it for a few = weeks and couldn't find the problem. (they were not a "vw" shop, but = they were close to my house, and an honest shop) they gave me the option = of towing the car to where ever I wanted, and not charging me for any = of the work they had done (feeling bad about not being able to repair the = van). So, I had it towed to a local VW dealer, where they determined the "new" distributor was also bad, so it was replaced. But, = my poor van would STILL not run right. It was still lacking power and = stalling, so they checked it over and suggested maybe it was the O2 sensor, or = Air Flow Sensor. I ran low on money, so I was unable to have them replace the = pricey O2 sensor and continue their diagnosis. I brought my van home, and = took out the Air Flow Sensor and cleaned it and checked it over, it appears = to be working. I also ordered a new O2 sensor from The Bus Depot, and am = awaiting it's arrival. Does anyone have any more suggestions on what the = problem may be?  PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S. before the changing of the plugs, wires, = dist. cap, rotor, and a state inspection, the van was running = great.
~Jeremy = Sager