I thought I'd share this brief story = with the list because the list played a role in saving me from the
precipice....Thank you = all....

I am a lucky owner of a super clean = '89 Westy with 34k original miles.
Bought it a few years ago when it = had only 27k. It was unbelievable. The camper = had never
been used, the original blue = celophane was (and still is) wrapped tight around the = stainless cover for the stove.
The body was perfect, the motor = strong. Everything was mechanically perfect. It had all the original reciepts, = manuals, floormats, record from date of entry into US, even an original '89 Vanagon sales brochure from = the dealer the guy had bought it from. It was truly a rare find.

We've really enjoyed it but unfortunately we haven't = used it as much as we had hoped, and so when
it came time to purchase another family vehicle for = around town, we decided reluctantly we would
sell the Westy. It was hard. Gut wrenching. I = polished her up and the Wolfram Grey Metallic sparkled
like new. There is hardly a ding anywhere. I = contemplated putting a note to the list = but started with my local paper, and at over $20k. The second caller said he'd buy = it, but wanted to have it checked by his mechanic about 80 = miles away. Knowing that it was mechanically perfect, I = agreed but couldn't get it down there for a few days. In those days I kept coming = back here, checking the list, and talking to friends, = my wife, and eyeing the Westy in its like new state in the garage. How could I do = this, I said to myself. How would I ever replace her? Do I = want to start over with a 60-70-80+k miler a few years down the road? In the = end, I couldn't do it. I felt really bad but I called the guy and said I = couldn't do it. He sort of understood, but he knew what he had lost. If he had = bought it the day he looked at it, it would be gone and I would be lost.

So I'm glad to be back, in the fold, with my cherry = '89 Westy. It was scary. But the list and vanagon.com helped bring me back into the = excitement I had when I bought my first camper, a '72, then the '80, and = now the '89.  Whew!! Thanks to everybody!!

billc
'89 Westy
(photos/website avail on request)