Amy:

If you are just talking about changing the pads = and/or shoes, then you are talking about a pretty easy job.  = (especially the front pads).

The next items to consider are the condition of the = rotors and drums.  Do you know how many miles they have on = them?  If you have not replaced them within the last couple of = "brake jobs" you should probably consider replacing = them.  Luckily, the parts are pretty cheap. (about $40 = each).  If your brake pedal "pulsates" while you are = braking, this is due to the rotors or drums being warped (probably the = rotors)  If this is the case, you are best off to replace rather = than machine them.

Another item to consider is the rear wheel = cylinders.  If these are "weeping" from the seals (or if = there is evidence of leakage anywhere near them) they should be = replaced.  Very easy, and at $20 each, too cheap to bother = rebuilding.

Lastly, you may consider rebuilding the = calipers.  This is inexpensive (about $10 per side as I recall), = but a major PITA the first time around (until you figure it out).  = You will need an assortment of clamps, pliers, maybe a bench vise, = compressed air, and some manual dexterity to do it.  If you are a = timid novice, this is probably the only part of the brake job I would = steer you away from.  (It can be very frustrating trying to get = the piston back in and lined up properly)  You also need to be = able to compress it without damaging the seals, which is tricky with = the Vanagon calipers.

One final note:

I definitely recommend going to Sears (or a FLAPS) = and buying three tools:

1. ($5) Brake spoon for adjusting the rear brakes = (you will have to grind part of it away so that it will fit into the = little slot in the brake backing plate)

2. Retaining spring compressor ($5) This little gizmo = has two round ends that you use to push down the little round retaining = clips to get the shoes off the rear backing plates.  Don't lose = the pins that come in from the rear of the backing plates!!  They = don't seem like they come out at first, but if you rotate them, you can = remove them and put them somewhere safe.  (I use a nifty = magnetic-backed stainless steel bowl from Sears)

3. Spring stretcher/remover ($5).  This little = guy has one end with a little hook, an s-shaped bend, and a round = opening on the other end with a little flange that sticks out.  = This is the most indispensable brake tool you can own, IMHO, since = removing and replacing springs on rear brakes is REALLY frustrating = without one.

Don't bother with the "plier" type combo = brake tool.  While very useful on larger domestic Bendix-type rear = brakes, I  have found it useless on the little Vanagon rear = brakes.

You can often buy all the above tools in a = "kit" for about $20 or so.  I highly recommend the = investment.  While it is possible to do a rear brake job with = screwdrivers and needle-nose pliers, the ease with which it can be done = with the proper tools is well worth the $20.

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA