I found the foot locker on contico's = website.  The item number is No. 1320 (with Wheels).  It's in the Parts = Storage section, many pages down.  The box works quite well but it's a = little taller than I wanted and a bunch shorter than the luggage rack.

I found a place on the web that makes = these things to order and have requested a quote on one that would fit better.  = I'll let all of you interested parties know how it goes.

Jeanne

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeanne Maly
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 = 4:15 PM
Subject: Secure Luggage Rack Storage

While browsing at our local outdoors = shop, I discovered something far less expensive that might be a usable = solution for secure luggage rack storage.

A company called Contico, St. Louis, = www.contico.com manufactures = polypropylene (sp?) boxes for all sorts of purposes.  At the outdoor shop, I = discovered a 32"l x 17"w x 12.25"h footlocker which just might do the trick for = me.  I plan to go back tonight and purchase one to check it = out.   Since 32" doesn't fill out the luggage rack, I'll have space for a gas can = since I haven't found any alternative way to carry one safely.  I could = also store my folding chairs alongside the footlocker.  It has little = wheels on one end so that, when it's on the ground, it would be easy to move around.  It is extremely light weight - I could pick it up with = one finger on each hand.  It sells for $30!  And this is not any = kind of a discount store.

What I will do if this seems like a = good thing is this:  remove the luggage rack, drill appropriately spaced holes = in the bottom of the luggage rack, to be mated with holes in the bottom of = the footlocker.  I'll glue bolts upwards through the holes (with some = kind of metal reinforcing under the fiberglass)  to go into the holes in = the footlocker, fasten the footlocker down with rubber washers and = butterfly nuts on the inside of the box.  The footlocker has a place on it for a = padlock.  If you space it really well, you could have the = footlocker face either the front or the back.  Since we will be crossing a = great number of borders in South America, it occurred to me that I didn't = want to have to pop the top at the border so that the border guards could = search the luggage.

For anyone who wants a larger storage = space, I saw a truck storage box on the website that is 48" long.  I'm not = sure if that would fit in the luggage rack or not, but it's close.  If = anybody finds these footlockers on the web, please let us all know.  = Heck, a discount off of $30 would still be a good thing.

I'll let you know how it works = out.  If it's not good, I'll go back to the fiberglass lid idea.

Jeanne
'87 Syncro Westy