On-and-off braking is EXACTLY what I was doing.  = I would let them cool for 20-40 seconds, then pulse them two or three = times, then let them cool, etc.  That is what is so maddening = about it.  I DID NOT drag or ride the brakes any harder than one = would HAVE to in order to drive normally over these grades.

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA