searched the archives and found about 400 posts on = this subject.  Not having the time to wade through all of them (at = least I'm being honest!), I thought I'd pose the question for a quick = answer:

Last weekend I pulled my rear heater core (very easy) = and found that there was a small dried puddle of coolant under = it.  There was also a little wetness and white residue around the = area where valve is located on the left side of the core (where the = inlet hose mounts).  The Bentley diagram does not cover this model = rear heater (at least the picture in the Bentley looked nothing like my = unit), so I'm wondering about the internals.

Is the typical source of this leak an o-ring inside = that valve body where it mates to the heater core?  If so, is it = possible to change it without introducing a bunch of air into the = cooling system?  (i.e. use vise grips in the heater hoses and = bleed the heater core when done).

Thanks

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA