Jeanne:

I have had Jeeps for years, and have had several = types of carriers (both custom made and "off the = shelf").  In most cases, they are "swing-away" = types, and will likely require extensive reworking to fit a = Vanagon.  This kind of work can get expensive quickly, and you = want to make sure that the shop you use has experience with fabrication = work.  (See examples of their work first!!!)

Normally the way they mount is to have a bracket that = bolts through the body on both sides of the rear; one carries the = hinge, and the other carries the locking mechanism.  In many cases = this requires reinforcing of the body panels in order to keep them from = flexing/tearing.  (I used to carry a 33" spare along with two = 5-gal jerry cans and that combo is HEAVY).  Another type I have = used is mounted to the bumper, but it requires a solid steel bumper, = not the flimsy little ones we have on our Vanagons.

I might recommend an alternative - there are carriers = on the market that plug into a class IV receiver hitch.  These = normally will carry a spare and even a jerry can or two.  then you = just have to worry about getting a nicely built receiver hitch made = up.  (Seems that there is a list vendor that does this)

another alternative might be to customize a Paulchen = rack for carrying a storage box, spare tire and = "stuff".  This might work really well, since the = Paulchen fits very nicely on the Vanagon and with the support legs on = the bumper will support a fair amount of weight.  (I have carried = 70 qt coolers packed with food and ice).  Check with Steve Lashley = on the actual capacity of the Paulchen.

My thinking is that you could mount a pair of = horizontal cross bars on the rear portion of the rack, one which would = carry a "tongue" that goes through the center hole of the = wheel, and the other a little higher up that could engage with a stout = carriage bolt threaded to accept a lug nut.  You would rest the = wheel on the tongue and then line up the threaded bolt with a mounting = hole in the wheel; torque down the lug nut over the threaded bolt and = onto the wheel, and Voila! a spare tire mount!  (Use a locking lug = nut for security).   If you mounted the tire up high enough, = you would still have room below on the flip-out part of the rack to = carry some goodies.

Just another line of thinking....

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA