Brian:

When I bought my Syncro, it was mounted with some C = load range tires called "Jupiter"  (It sounds like these = are the ones you have in the rear).  I have there receipt from the = PO, and they were about $65 each from a small local tire store.  = They were OK tires - lasted about 30,000 miles or so.  The ride = was fine, and the road noise was not bad.

That being said, if you spend 50% more on a quality = tire like the Michelin's you can probably expect to get 100% better = mileage out of them.  This represents a higher up-front = investment, but a lower cost-per mile driven (and you get a better = tire).

Buying tires is like putting a roof on your house - a = big investment, and not terribly exciting.

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA