Gerald:

I lump "belt dressing" in the same category = with "Engine Rebuild In A Can" and other such snake oil that = FLAPS all seem to put on the same eye-level shelf near the tune up = parts.  If you have a properly-tensioned belt, that is in good = condition, and your alternator is sound, there is no need for such = "dressing" IMHO.  The WD-40 trick is kinda like = squirting carb cleaner at an intake manifold looking for vacuum leaks; = it helps pinpoint the problem, but does nothing to solve it.

What I would be suspicious of would be a glazed belt = caused by slipping (caused in turn by improper tension), or possibly = problems with the bearings in your alternator.  Look carefully at = the condition of the belt and see if it looks shiny, glazed, or = cracked.  If so, spend the $15 for a new one and I'll bet that = will solve the problem.

If the belt is not visibly worn, etc. then remove it = and check the alternator pulley for excess play (Ken Wilfey posted the = procedure a while back).   If it thunks back and forth or up = and down, this will cause the belt to move erratically in the guides = and possibly create the noise.

Of course, YMMV.  Let us know what you come up = with

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA