From: jeff crane
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2000 = 10:54 PM
Subject: dwell

Yes = dwell angle is  still a factor in  transistorized ignitions.  It is = no longer adjustable but through software it is possible in = distributorless ignitions,   but  no the service tech cannot do so.
 Dwell is  expressed in  degrees of distributor shaft = rotation.   30*dwell on an eight cylinder engine  would leave  = 120*  of  cumulative rotation for the coil to  be off charge and = therefore cooling somewhat. 45* on a four cylinder engine would  leave 180* = to cool,  and 180* to charge the coil cumulatively. Simply = because the distributor shaft rotates 360* of course.  If you have a = transistorized ignition, breakerless whatever, you  can still measure the dwell angle.  If the system is weak  chances are you will find = a  shorter dwell angle when you test it.  I have done this and I = know it works.  In fact,  transistorized ignitions can and do have = variable dwell periods factored  into the circuitry  on some  applications. In reality the hall effect sensor is simply a switch and = not the conductor that all current must pass  to charge the coil and = this  leaves  you many possibilities.
  To understand this best it is best to realize that dwell exists even in distributorless ignitions, though it is   often ignored, it = is  a percentage of  time in a given engine revolution.  That = doesn't matter but that it is important to realize that   without = contact points you do still have a dwell angle.