From: Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
To:= vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Saturday, May 13, 2000 11:33 PM
Subject: Re: [VANAGON] = dwell

To add even more trivia to a beat = to death subject:
Yes, Pertronix are Hall effect = based.  A hall sensor turns on based on the strength of the magnetic field = that they see, thus, it is logical to conclude that you can effect the dwell = by changing the distance from the collar (with the magnets in it) and = the sensor.  ie... the closer the pick-up is to the collar = (magnets) , the longer the sensor will see it.  Obviously, if you get too much = of a gap, the pulse will be shorter.

Personal experience: Don't get you = hand anywhere near the business side of one of these (coil output).  = Not only does the module decide when to fire the coil, it gives it a = sustained spark. It hurts lots more than when you get hit by = points.  I ran one in a beetle that I circle track raced for years and it = brought home more than one trophe.  It later went into a '73 bus and = ran fine.  In case it matters, I also carried a set of points and a = condenser in the bus just in case.
 Mark Rokus
'87 Syncro = (wifie's)
'87 Syncro Westy: Mine :-)
'81 Westy