Andrew:

Welcome and congratulations on your new baby!  = Here's some comments, based on my experience so far:

>       Polish the = roof (rubbing compound, and then wax ?)

What color is your roof?  If it is white, then = rubbing compound is not the way to go, IMHO. Other colors are painted = on, and rubbing compound may work, but the white tops are finished with = some sort of gel coat.  I have had good luck with lightly using a = 3M Scotch Brite pad (they make different colors with different = roughness), then following up with a good marine wax.

>       2nd battery = and charging system

Tons of material on this in the archives.  Your = best bet may be to try and source the original German battery which = fits in the compartment.  The name of the battery escapes me at = the moment (Sonneberg? Sonneshein?), but I am sure someone will chime = in.  The advantage being that it is made to fit (or the other way = around) and it should be easier to come by for you than for us here in = the States.

>       Install = CD-autochanger

if you are into MP3 files in addition to regular = CD's, check out the Aiwa CDC-MP3 player.
http://www.aiwa.com/Catalog00/Products2.asp?id=94

>       GPS

I have a Garmin GPS II+ that I am very happy with and = got for about $199 USD

>       Modify = hookup to 240V ?

I'm no expert, but it stands to reason that your = biggest challenge will be to change the receptacle inside the van, and = change out the breaker to a 240v unit.  I'll bet there's an = adapter you can use for the outside receptacle so that you can use a US = spec extension cord for hooking up (and the adapter would go between = that and the shore power)

>       Its not a = Syncro

Think of all the money you will save!   = :-)

>       Wish it had = a grill under the hob

Huh????

>       The wife = hates it with a passion :-(

Why on earth would your wife hate it (other than the = fact that you will be spending more time with the Westy than with her = for the next week or two...)  <g>

BTW, my wife only hated our Westy when she was = pregnant - the seats don't recline far enough.

Cheers,

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA